Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Long Weekend That Was Too Short

So if you read the novel post below, you know that Chris and I made the drive to Corpus Christi and the Valley this past weekend. Man that drive is a beating! I can't tell you how much I'll appreciate the day when we can teleport like they do in Star Trek. :)

We made it to Corpus close to 3 AM on Friday night, slept in a little and then headed to one of my favorite seafood restaurants, King's Inn, in Baffin Bay, Texas (about an hour outside of Corpus). The funny thing about King's Inn is Chris and I have both been going there since we were kids. I wonder if our paths ever crossed...

After stuffing ourselves silly, we continued our drive to Harlingen. We arrived at Barbara and Lee's house earlier than expected, leaving us with plenty of time to just sit and catch up with them. :) We got the grand  tour of the house they built. They really thought of everything! It is such a beautiful home with so many neat features!

Then it was time to head out to South Padre Island for the reunion. The event was held at Louies Backyard, which is right on the water. The reunion committee really did a great job as far as getting you into the spirit of things. They had a slideshow with old class photos, banners for Harlingen South hung everywhere and just fun decor with their school colors. My favorite part was the video they had playing on the TVs around the room- I was able to see footage of Chris playing baseball and I even saw him walking at his commencement! :) 

Christopher's classmate, Sterling, and Chris after dancing to "Thriller"...just the two of them while the rest of his class and I watched. :)

The Harlingen South Class of 1999
Overall, it was nice to meet some of Chris' classmates and hear stories about their high school days. We ate, drank, laughed and chatted the evening away. As much as I would like to say I can't wait for our next reunions, I can...because that means we'll be OLD by then. ;)


Sunday was awesome! We started with going to lunch with Barbara, Lee and Brian Guerra and Barbara's mom at a Mexican restaurant in Harlingen. The food was great and the company even better. :) After saying our goodbyes, it was time to head back to Corpus.

Lee, Chris, Brian and Barbara

Me, Chris, Brian and Barbara

One of the many fruit/veggie stands on the way out of the Valley

Chris and I went straight to my Aunt Cookie and Uncle Manuel's house for a family BBQ. My little cousin, Allison, came into town from San Antonio, so we were all there- Me, Chris, Mom, Dad, Jason, Alex and Dustin, Allison and my aunt and uncle. We ate, watched a movie, looked at photos from our trip, talked and just had our usual fun time when we're all together. Love it!

Monday Chris went to see his sister, Jamie and his nieces and nephew while I helped my dad run a couple errands. Then it was off to see my Wela (what I call my Grandma on my Dad's side). She's the last grandparent I have left so it's always nice to see her, catch up and lecture her to take it easy. Everyone tells her to let her kids and grandkids do all the "heavy lifting" around the house, but she never listens. I guess that's where I get my stubbornness from... ;)

Me, Shamrock, Wela and Dad

That was it! Chris, Shamrock and I made our way back to Dallas. Like I said, it was a long weekend, but it sure did zoom by...

No comments:

Post a Comment