Saturday, February 13, 2010

They're Back!

The Olympics, that is! :) Some of you may not be aware, but I am obsessed with the Olympic Games. Whether it's the summer or winter games, it doesn't matter to me- I love 'em!

The athletes who participate in the Olympics always inspire me- their devotion and relentless pursuit of their dreams leave me in awe. To watch the world's elite athletes compete against one another is truly amazing. Even the more obscure sports that I know nothing about somehow grab my attention. Just knowing the time, effort and commitment these people put into something they have a passion for is enough to keep me enthralled.

Apollo Ohno just stated that, before he goes to bed each night, he asks himself one question, did I do everything I could today to be the best? At that moment, when I heard that sound bite, I paused and asked myself the same. I don't think, looking back on my entire life, I could ever honestly say yes to such a question. Ohno, too, said it's difficult, if you're being upfront with yourself, to indeed answer with a positive response- his reply is you can almost always do more.

It is that very pursuit of perfection that makes me admire these athletes; those who consistently go out and work their hardest, try their best, give it their all. I applaud these athletes for not looking at life from a practical standpoint, but to live it on their terms, come what may. To take a chance, knowing all odds are against you, and still strive, everyday, to achieve a goal very few can accomplish is mind-blowing to me.

The courage and conviction these people have motivate me to be a better person. I think that is what makes the Olympics so fascinating and uplifting. Aside from the great shows the athletes put on while attempting to capture a gold medal (or any other color, for that matter), it's the stories, the fearlessness, the heart these Olympians have that draw me to the games. Hope you all tune in! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment