Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pulling Teeth

The day I've been dreading is almost here. I found out today that I will be having one of my lower teeth removed on Friday morning. I cannot tell you how nervous I am about this procedure.

My teeth have always been the bain of my existence. From having what my mom refers to as "shark teeth" growing up, to experiencing two cracked teeth, having two crowns put in as well as several issues with my gums, I'd say that I've had more problems with my teeth than a normal person should. So when I was told I'd need to have a tooth removed in order for my second set of braces to really work, I wasn't surprised.

I've been taking it in stride, not really letting the idea of having my dentist yank my tooth out affect me. That is, of course, until today. I am terrified! Knowing my dentist will be using a large, steel needle to inject not-strong-enough medication into my jaw truly frightens me.


And not only am I fearful of the procedure itself, but I'm also quite nervous about what I'll be experiencing after. I'm not a fan of pain (that's right, I'm a big wuss) so I'm not excited for tomorrow afternoon (around the time the numbness will be wearing off). Plus (and I know this will sound somewhat vain) I'm concerned about what I'll look like after...

I know eventually the teeth around that one will fill the gap and it will look great in a few months. However, in the interim, I'm worried I'll look odd, like a toothless hillbilly. :(

Oh, well. Whether I'm scared or not, it's going to happen on Friday. Wish me luck, all!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment