Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baby Bowie

My new "niece" has finally arrived! Miss Bowie Caroline made her debut this morning, weighing in at a healthy 7 pounds, 1 ounce. 

Over the19 years we have been friends, Jamie has been like a sister to me so I knew this day would be an emotional ride. Like most major events in your life, you aren't always quite sure what your reaction will be until the moment occurs. Well, I can honestly say, I was a bit surprised by the emotions I experienced. My reaction was that of extreme happiness, relief and a little sadness. 

I found myself  with tears of joy on more than one occasion today. I began reflecting upon our journey together as friends and it really hit me how far Jamie and I have come since first becoming friends in 7th grade. It's amazing how much we have grown and evolved over the years and where our lives have taken us since 1993. From tater-tot making and Koosh ball-slinging sleepovers, to singing together in choir and on the phone, to talking on the phone everyday, to experiencing first kisses and loves, to helping each other through heartbreaks, to working through silly arguments, to getting past feelings of being left behind, to being a part of each other's weddings, and now having babies, we have always managed to stay "best friends."  

It's amazing how life just starts to move at a pace that seems entirely too fast as we age. I still think of us back in our old bedrooms recapping our 8th grade days (since she and I went to different schools that year, we called each other everyday immediately when we got home from school- we were fiercely dedicated to maintaining our best friend status). Now she's a mother to a beautiful baby girl. And now I'm a little sad. 

Sad we're all grown up and can't go back to those simpler times. Sad that I wasn't there for this significant moment in Jamie's life. And sad that it will be a few weeks before I meet this new addition to our family. But sadness is the smallest of all my emotions today. I am relieved Jamie and baby are both healthy and the process went smoothly. But mostly, I am feeling great joy. I am completely in love with this little lady and elated she's here. 

What I've taken from today (and from most of these milestone moments), is you can't stop life from happening. We can't slow life down or make it wait until we're ready to move to the next chapter. Even though it's hard for me to fathom that my best friend is now a mother, it's official and we have this gorgeous girl to prove it. Bowie is the symbol that life goes on, it grows, it changes and every moment is one to cherish. Looking back brings great memories, but it can keep you from truly appreciating the present.

I'm so thankful for the past Jamie and I have shared as "sisters" but I am extremely excited about our future with Bowie joining us. :) Congratulations to Jamie and Andy on your little miracle! And welcome to the world, beautiful Bowie!

Love,
Aunt Jocelyn :)
Bowie's first weigh in.

Mommy and baby- happy, healthy and beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment