Thursday, October 22, 2009

TX/OU Weekend

This past weekend, Ryan, Chris and my mom went to see the Texas Longhorns take on the Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl here in Dallas. For those of you that aren't big college football fans, this is one of the biggest games of the season for UT (and OU, too), therefore the tickets are hard to come by.

Whataburger is a big UT sponsor and since Ryan is the Marketing Representative over the Austin area, she was able to snag us tickets to this year's game! When she gave me the news that week, I couldn't believe it- it took everything I had not to squeal with glee while sitting at my desk at work. I immediately called Chris to give him the great news! Ryan knew that she, Chris and I would be going, but she still had one ticket up for grabs. I threw out a few friends' names here in Dallas, but when my mom mentioned she wouldn't mind driving up to see it, Ryan and I were all for it (plus it helped so that none of my friends felt snubbed).

Both Ryan and my parents arrived in Dallas Friday night. Once everyone unloaded their belongings, we headed to Pappadeaux for dinner and then to a bar for some karaoke! Ryan, Chris and my dad all went up there and performed like pros (well, Chris was the showman and Ryan and my dad were great vocalists). I wish I would've thought to take pictures. :(

The next morning was the big game! We left the house at 8:45 AM so we could make sure we got into our seats by 11 AM. Thank goodness we left with plenty of time because we got to our seats with only ten minutes to spare before kickoff!

The game was an ugly one with both teams only scoring one touchdown each and the rest of the points being field goals. The first half felt like it was the longest in college football history, lasting a little over two hours (a typical college game lasts 3 hours for all four quarters). I can't complain, though, because we still had a great time. The weather was beautiful- sunny with cool breezes periodically. We all got a little burnt, but it was worth it. WE WON! Final score 16- 13! Like I said, it wasn't a pretty win, but I'll take it! :)


(Click to see the enlarged version)
I couldn't decide which pictures would best showcase what a great time we had at the game, so I decided to make a collage with some of our photos from both the game and the fair


Chris and I during the game


Ryan, mom, Chris and I celebrating right after the BIG WIN!!

After the game, it was time to hit the State Fair of Texas! It was so packed with all the people leaving the game. We had to fight our way out of the vicinity of the stadium to get some walking room, but once we did that, we were able to make our way to my favorite fair treats- funnel cakes and corny dogs!



Eating our Fletcher's corny dogs! :)

After having our taste of fair food, we took Ryan and my mom to see Big Tex because you can't go to the fair for the first time and not see him.


Me with the first time fair-goers, my mom and Ryan, in front of Big Tex

After that, we were ready to head home to keep my dad and Shamrock company. Later that evening we all went to Pappasitos for dinner and then called it a night. The next morning everyone left and we were off to our photo shoot of Cohen Jones (more on that in the next blog entry).

Ryan- thank you for thinking of and taking us along as your guests!!!! We had a fantastic time and it's all thanks to you! :)

Mom and Dad- So glad you could make the trip up to Dallas to watch the game and hang out with us! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment